Saturday, March 17, 2007

Hollywood Godzilla 2

I’ve held off on posting my thoughts on the rumor that Sony was working on a second installment of the Hollywood Godzilla. However I think it might be worth some wild speculation on my part at this time.

Keep in mind that Monster Zero has detailed excellent reasons why this rumor is unfounded. And I agree with the reasons – the Hollywood Godzilla sucked on an epic scale.

With that said, let me add a few comments about the original post on Monster Zero which started me thinking.

According to the original rumor, Sony wanted to see how Spider-Man 3 did at the box office before committing to a second Godzilla movie. The timing here seems a bit static to me. Why wait on starting production until after Spider-Man 3? And why a 2009 release date? The obvious answer to me is that many of the creative forces behind the highly successful Spider-Man movies will be free to start work on new projects.

A quick look at IMDB shows that Sam Raimi has nothing slated for a 2009 release as director. Hmmm.

Again, I want to stress that this rumor of a second Hollywood Godzilla movie has been squashed thoroughly by Sony. But wouldn’t it rock if the creative forces behind one of Hollywood’s most successful movie franchises decided to throw their weight behind a new version of Godzilla?

No comments: